Friday, May 27, 2011

First Day In Haiti-Vicious Mosquitos

This is the dorm where we sleep at the compound. 
I cant believe I am here. It has been a day full of all sorts of emotions. The airport was a great way for God to introduce to me the culture shock I will be having. We rode in the "tap tap." Thats what the bus was called.  We drove about an hour and a half through port au prince to get to the compound. Driving through port au prince was absolutely mind blowing. Ive seen pictures of all the destruction and heard stories but to actually see it for  myself is completely different, its indescribable. There is so much need here but I know God is working.
The hardest part about driving through port au prince was when the "tap tap" would stop because of traffic, kids and men would come up and hit the bus asking for money and you just had to ignore them. Ofcourse they asked it in the creole (their language) but you just had to turn away. The driving was INSANE! I guess you can say that when there are no lights, no stop signs, kids running in the street between cars  it is quite an adventure.
As we got close to the compound, the driver started to go real fast, the wind was blowing, and the beautiful mountains were right in front of me. It was an incredible moment to just thank God for bringing me here and also ask Him to comfort me through this experience.
Besides the crazy mosquitos attacking us, when we arrived at the compound there was such a peace that went over me. We met Pasor Pierce (the pastor for the nehemiah vision ministry) and some other really wonderful people. It feels like its a completely different wolrd from where we are staying to what we drove through today. I feel so welcomed here. I feel safe, which is not a feeling I would have had in the airport or driving through port au prince if it werent for being with 27 people. The kitchen ladies made us dinner, and we all have just been getting settled in. The water is very different, purified, but different. I know that will take some time to get used to. O and also the amount of cockroaches that are here will take some getting used too as well. One crawled in my bag and I screamed and just thought to myself (how am I going to do this), but I remembered what my mom told me about having to get over the fear of cockroaches here (haha).

Ephesians 2:10 "For we are Gods workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

God has planned for me to be here all my life. He has prepared me and my heart to do good works for His glory. I cant wait for God to use me here and to see what He has been preparing for me. Although I am overwhelmed, and experiencing major culture shock, I know that God is at work and each day I will feel His hands on me more and more here.

2 comments:

  1. ha..wish I had been wrong about the roaches!!!!! remember the time you freaked out in wild Dunes over the spiders?! so funny- I can still think about that randomly and start laughing!! this experience will definitely make you stronger!!!
    Please don't go outside without the insect repellent! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. remember the bee in the pool at my house!?!! hahah I love you so much. I'm so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete