Sunday, May 29, 2011

First Sunday In Haiti- Happy Mothers Day!

I've heard so many amazing stories about the church services here at Nehemiah Vision, and to actually experience one for the first time today was unreal. I woke up this morning more at peace and so excited to experience my first church service in Haiti. I sat down next to these boys and behind some little girls that were in the cutest dresses. I wasn't even sitting down for 2 minutes before the little girl in front of me turned around and reached her hand out to hold mine. She didn't let go for 20 minutes and just played with my hands and my Jesus ring I wear. Its amazing, people here don’t even know you, cant understand you, but they still love you and want attention from you. The team was kind of scattered throughout the church sitting in between the Haitians. As I looked around at that, it gave me a beautiful picture of how we are all ONE body of Christ. Even though we come from such a different world from them, we were all there to worship the same God.
A church service here is usually about 4 hours long. At first I didn’t know how I was going to last that long in the heat, and not understanding anything. But then God grabbed my heart and told me to just pray and read His word when they are not translating anything because its not about understanding the Haitians, its about understanding God. 
All the songs were sang in Creole. The Haitians started singing songs that we knew, like "How great is Our God." It was one of the most amazing moments to listen to the Haitians sing in Creole and us sing in English at the same time. It was a very powerful worship experience. Whenever a new team comes here, they make them go to the front of the church and sing a song. 27 of us all stood in front of everybody and sang "Our God is Greater." It was one of the most fun things I have ever done. I couldn’t stop smiling. People here have so little, but yet they still lift their hands and praise God for being a merciful King. 



After the service everyone went outside and just played with the kids, shook peoples hands, took pictures and met some of the families. I held this one little baby boy named Kevince (the little boy in the picture) for the longest time. His mom loved when I took pictures of her family. One lady came up to me and just started singing a worship song to me. She knew English so we both just sang it to each other. It was a beautiful moment. After holding many children, and trying to communicate with some of the families after church made me realize the beauty and the value behind a smile, or a hug. When Jesus shines through you, that is the greatest thing people can connect to. 

It is also Mothers Day here in Haiti. One of the mothers at Church at 18 kids! I saw many mothers breast-feeding during church. Those were the moments when I had to remind myself how different of a world I am in. I just wanted give a shout out to my mom as I am celebrating Mothers Day here in Haiti. I love you so much and am very thankful for you.I hope one day we can do something like this together. You are a blessing to me. 
I also wanted to say how cool it was to skype my sisters and my mom today outside in the compound and have them meet some of the kids! It was one of the best moments I have had so far. They were so amazed! It was a blessing for me to introduce my family to them! I love you guys!

6 comments:

  1. Love this campie! I am the happiest mother in the world to have you!! Love the story about the little girl in church- and i can just picture you on stage singing with your beautiful smile!
    You are my angelcampie!!! love you soooooo much- feels like you have been gone for 2 weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love you mommy! Thought you would like this post! I want you to come here one day, all of us together. Your my hero and I was so happy I got to see your face today. Laying in bed right now thinking about you. I come home in one month from today! haha, feels like i have been here more than 3 days haha! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Vickie,
    Danny and I are readying to leave for Atlanta for him to film the little part in "3 Stooges". I just read all of the entries on Cam's blog and I'm deeply moved by her reliance on the Lord. She is mature beyond her years and glows, radiates with the love of Jesus. We are praying for her constantly and are so proud of what she is doing. We are not on facebook, so maybe you could pass this onto her on her blog. Love, Danny & LaGena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lagena! I can read all peoples comments! Thank you so much. I love you guys very much! Thank you for your prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cam, its Megan! Wow, you have really touched my heart. You are doing amazing things for the world and is obvious the Lord is using you for his work. Hopefully I will get to do something like this next summer. Love you girl, and you all will be in my prayers :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cam I can just picture all of you just rocking out to Our God is Greater in that church!! Now I have chills and tears in my eyes just thinking about that. What a great day. I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete