Sunday, June 5, 2011

Catch Up

The best way to summarize these past 3 very rainy days is to tell you that God has been testing my patience and has given me circumstances where I just have to trust him with my whole heart. I have kind of been having a hard time in feeling helpless and useless sometimes.
I thought I would share with you this of the highlights of this week so far-On friday, I went to the village with some of my friends. As I was walking into the village, I stepped in the huge pile of mud and my shoe and foot was covered. I started to walk again and then the little girl that was holding my hand stopped me, got down on her knees and started to scrape the mud off my shoe with her finger. It was one of the most humbling and eye opening moments. The reason it was so beautiful to watch that is because it gave me such a vivid and amazing picture of who Jesus is. The little girl didnt know me, but she served me. Those precious moments are when my heart breaks and I pray for God to help use those moments to become more like him.

James 1:2 "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds because you know that the testing of your faith developes perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

What an amazing reminder that was to read yesterday morning as the day really tested my patience and my trust in difficult circumstances. Experiences like these teach you so much about being flexible. The plan of going to port au prince got canceled due to the rain, so instead of interacting with college students it was another day of work. I worked in a swamp yesterday. Now, if you know me, you know that I am the last person in the world to work in a swamp for the day. With spiders everywhere, mosquitos attacking you, being told to not freak out about snakes, and your feet sinking into the mud in the rain, I really needed the Lord to help me have a good attitude.
Im learning that people dont always grow from an amazing experience. They grow the most in times of discomfort, times of frustration, dissapointment, and times of uncertainty. Even though I have not seen the kids that much and cant really communicate with the haitians other than saying "hello, how are you? and how old are you?" I know God is teaching me, that I only need Him. Even though I may spend a whole day just moving boxes, I am praying that God would help me see situations through His pure and perfect eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment