Thursday, June 9, 2011

What Faith Can Do...

In the "Tap Tap" with our Sodas we bought from the grocery store in Port au Prince 
 Ephesians 6:19 "Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given to me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should." 

God really spoke to me through this verse yesterday as we went to the University in Port au Prince and shared the gospel to the college students. I had never experienced anything like it. It was so amazing to watch God show up and work in us so that people far from God would come to know him. It wasnt easy, especially with the language barrier, it was one of the most challenging experiences, but I knew I wasnt alone. Its even hard to step out and have the courage to share the gospel at my own college campus. But its a completely different challenge when your in a another culture. Faith was what got me through it and is what led me and my friend Read to get Johnson (the guy in the picture) to accept Christ yesterday.
Read and Me with Johnson after he recieved Christ
Right when we arrived, we gathered in this room with Pastor Sony, the president, and the secretary of the University and our translators. After we introduced ourselves one by one and sang a song of worship, we were on our own to go up to any one of the students and talk to them. Two of my friends and I started talking to this one guy (he spoke some english). He was a Chrisitan, and he kept saying "give me advice, I want advice from you." He wasnt very specific so I began to tell him what God has been teaching me over the past 2 years and gave him advice on trusting God with everything you have even in the hardships. After I was done talking with him, two other college students waved me over to them. I didnt have a translator with me so communicating with them was very challenging. At first they just wanted my number, when I said no, they asked if It was because I had a boyfriend. I said, "yes, he is back in the States" (haha thought you would laugh at that Samuel). One of the guys left and I asked Johnson what he believed in. He said he only believed in himself. After I started asking many questions and telling him who Jesus is, he said to me that he didnt think he was worthy enough to recieve Jesus love. At that point my friend Read came over and we both were talking with to him. As the conversation started getting deeper, Pastor Sony came over to be our translator. We went through the four spiritual laws with him. We gave him the booklet that was in Creole and we had an english one. As we asked him what each verse meant to him you could totally see God working in his heart. We asked him if he would like to invite Jesus into his heart. After he said YES, Pastor Sony prayed the prayer with him. We then all held hands and I prayed over Johnson and prayed for the incredible journey he is now on with God.

I had never experienced something like this in my whole life. For God to use me and Read to lead Johnson to Christ is the greatest blessing. What this experience taught me is that with God nothing is impossible. We cant do these things alone. It has nothing to do with us but it has everything to do with God. He is your best teammate. It was so awesome to share this experience with Pastor Sony and Read. Before we left Port au Prince one of the Haitian leaders from Campus Crusade led us in a song called "Trust and Obey." We must trust God with everything, and obey and follow what He has called us to do.
 With love because He is love, Cam

1 comment:

  1. so powerful Campie..you are a precious gift from God and He is using to affect so many people. So happy you are having this experience
    ..skype later!
    love, Mom

    ReplyDelete