Sunday, June 5, 2011

You Are Making Me New

Church was amazing today. Seeing Haitians worship God is unlike anything Ive ever seen before. God is so amazing. We were all singing to Jesus saying over and over again, "Nothing is impossible for you, you hold the world in your hands!" It felt so good to sing that to God as I have experienced feeling like its impossible to communicate witht he haitians and impossible to fix the brokeness here. When I go through port au prince and when I go to the village and see the kids and what people live in my heart just wants to change everything for them. I just want to help instantly. But I was reminded today that only God can fix things and can make beauty come out of brokeness. With him nothing is impossible. He holds Haiti in His hands even though its hard to see that sometimes. I know God can keep anyone at perfect peace when we stay close to Him
As I was worshiping God at church, It was crazy to think that my family and friends were at church back in the states praising the same amazing God! God is a big God, He is everywhere. Even though I am what feels like an entire world apart from my family, I am growing in love through Gods word with my Haitian brothers and sisters. I realized when I was in that room that we are all one family and that the one thing we all have in common is that we are all growing together as God is working in each of our lives. Thats such a beautiful thing.

After church we distributed rice and beans, and hygene packets to the Haitians. Durning this week of work, were stuffed bags of food, and made the hygene packets. There were times when I was bored and felt like I could have been doing something so much better, but then today really showed me that what we were doing really made a big difference. It was really cool to hand out what our team has been working on this whole week. There were guards directing people where to line up. It was difficult to watch how rough the guards have to be with the woman and children but I know that without them it would have been so chaotic. It broke my heart to watch people line up so close together and push each other around a little bit just to get one bag of rice and beans and at the same time I knew that I was just 30 steps away from being in an air conditioned kitchen about to be fed yummy food. Im still trying to wrestle with that. Why I am so blessed? I know I need to welcome challenging opportunities to trust God knowing that no set of circumstances is too much for me to handle.
This little girl held onto me for the longest time when I was done handing out the hygene packets. Everytime I would put her down she just held on to my neck and wouldlnt let her feet touch the ground. She was the cutest thing and I felt like we just had an instant connection. It was hard leaving her to go have lunch, but I told her that I would come see her at the village soon!

God is teaching me so many things. Although I miss home sometimes, Haiti is feeling like home more and more everyday. Please pray for me as I continue this journey for a little less than 4 more weeks!

The cutest little girl ever!
I love my family with all my heart! Thinking about you!

1 comment:

  1. So incredible to read these posts angel-I know God is working thru you. You are such a blessing to all who know you- and this trip is a blessing back to you! The perspective you are gaining is a huge gift-although I miss you terribly, I am so happy for you and the people you are meeting and helping!
    kisses!

    ReplyDelete